Monday, August 5, 2013

This is my Jam... or should I say Jelly

In true O.C.D. fashion just as I can't peel just one paint chip, so too I can't pick just one bunch of grapes for some mid-morning snacking.  When I got out into the grape arbor I found the vines teaming with fruit.   While my day started with intentions of some mild garden puttering, it unfolded into the emotional roller coaster that is jelly making.

Oh the elation of growing my own grapes, the denial of having to de-stem said grapes, the frustration of peeling and seeding for hours, the desperation of standing over a hot stove during the dead of summer, and finally the acceptance of how badass I am for making awesome jelly from garden to table.

Picking and washing the little lovelies.

Remove all the stems.

Peeling the grapes.  
I started out with intentions of making Jam, so I peeled about a quarter of the grapes, but after a few hours I chucked it and just mashed the rest of the grapes into the sauce pan.
Left-grape peels, Middle-pulp, Right-grapes to be peeled.

Simmering the grape pulp to remove the seeds.
I simmered about 5 min. then let cool to touch.  

Strain the pulp from the juice.  
I used a nut mylk bag and poured the pulp mash into it, then squeezed out all the juices.  Above is what was left over in the bag.  I threw some to the birds and composted the rest.

Then I mixed 3 C. of the juice and 5 1/4 C. of sugar and let sit 10 min. with an occasional stir to dissolve.  Meanwhile mixing up 1 packet of pectin with 3/4 C. of water over high heat for one full min.

After this it all went pretty quickly as I decided to make freezer jelly instead of old fashioned canning.  I mixed the pectin sauce into the grape/sugar concoction and stirred for 3 min.
Then poured it into my clean canning jars, making sure to leave 1/2 " headspace for expansion when freezing.
Let the jars sit for 24 hours and then pop into the freezer.

The results were a delicious morning pairing with toast and a batch of great Holiday gifts from the garden!








No comments:

Post a Comment