Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Day Was Saved By Lunch Time


I will be the first to admit that I get caught up in the monotony of the daily lunch preparation, tending to focus more attention on dinner meals.  I generally find a favorite and 'do it to death'.
Until now...This book has changed my life.  Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes.  If you don't own it, get it and thank me later.  This week I decided to try making a Philly-Style Seitan Sandwich.  

Generally I shy away from making seitan, it is such a messy process.  I will be cleaning wheat gluten dust off kitchen surfaces all week.  However, for this sandwich it is worth it.

So it starts out like any other seitan making process.  Mixing the gluten and the broth, then kneading for several minutes.  Here you see my plump little dough ball.  This next step however is where making this version of seitan gets a little creative and tickles my lazy bone.

 
Instead of spending the next hour monitoring a steaming cauldron of seitan loaf in my 90 degree kitchen, I just got out my trusty Crock pot.  It was as simple as mixing up a savory broth, plopping my dough ball in the sauce, and smelling the delicious aroma of potential awsomeness simmering away for the next 8 hours.
 You can barely see the ball peaking up in the center of the broth.  
  

8 Hours later we have a plump wheat meat loaf.  I let the loaf cool, and then put it up overnight to continue the sandwich making for the next day.

This seitan sliced so much easier, and was really juicy from cooking in the broth.  

I made a wine broth, poured it over the slices, and set it in the oven to bake.  

When all the broth was cooked off it browned very nicely and smelled delicious.

We slathered a couple pieces of sprouted wheat bread with mustard, threw some daiya on the 'steak' and popped it under the broiler till melty.  A half an avocado later and the day was saved.  It was an amazing juicy flavorful  thrill ride, and I looked like a goddess of the lunch line!!







No comments:

Post a Comment